Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sustainability as a Jesus Follower

I had a great lunch with a friend yesterday. He’s a deep well spiritually speaking, with a good grasp of the gospel and the Body of Christ. He asked a profound question of me: “What have you found to be sustainable as a follower of Jesus?” I answered “That which is timeless and relational is sustainable. Fads, emphases, organizations come and go. Principles and the practices that build relationship last.” I talked about the “Could You Not Tarry One Hour” prayer teaching that people thought was THE key to permanent revival in the 80s… it wasn’t. I said there was no one key that ‘fixed’ everything for us. My friend said “It really comes down to Christ alone.” I replied “Yes. Also, in the last handful of years I’ve learned to see the importance of Jesus expressed through his Body, versus “me and Jesus alone” and then a congregation. I used to see life more that way, but Christ in our ongoing life-together, our conversation, etc. has become very real and valuable to me.”

What will be true and valuable 1 year, 10 years, 30 years from now for you and me as followers of Jesus? That which is:

  • Timeless - truth, principles from Scripture... NOT doctrinal fads, over-emphasis on minor points, organizations, gadgets, etc.
  • Relational - learning to think-believe-do what grows your relationship with God and with the people you love most
One last point, approaching this as a Lone Ranger doesn't work well. At best, you learn these things muuuuuch more slowly than necessary. Learning them as part of a close community of disciples of Jesus promotes faster, deeper growth.

Onward.




No comments:

Post a Comment