While we all have our own specific journey, the markers on the path from Institutional Church to "simply follow Jesus" are remarkably similar.
1) After much thought, prayer and soul-searching, disconnecting from the IC (i.e. not attending church events anymore).
2) Uneasy freedom (like a cat easing out into the yard) becomes ecstatic freedom (2 year old escaping from the bathtub). No manmade constraints!
3) After the freedom in #2 turns to isolation we yearn to connect with others in His body... but only in a simple/organic/non-heirarchical way.
4) The quest for others who are like-minded begins. This can take a long time.
5) You find others, proceed with caution, acknowledge that we will never agree on every little issue and that how we interact is critical as we seek truth together.
To simply follow Jesus, right here, right now, together... that's the heart-cry for me, and for more and more folks I meet. How we relate to each other is of critical importance... more important than us getting all our theology right to begin with :-)
I would offer the following as a place to start. http://livewickmedia.com/simply-follow.html